The Roots of the Hotel Maria Can Be Traced back to the Year 1907
Beatrix and Christoph Kofler have been running the Hotel Maria since 1999. In the year 2001, they redesigned it as a family / mountain bike / winter paradise. And in 2008, they undertook extensive investments to reach another milestone and enhance the hotel's beauty and comfort even more. Let's take a look backwards in time and examine the Hotel Maria's origins…
Inaugurated in the Year 1907
In 1907, the owner of the Ortner Estate commissioned the construction of a single-family dwelling with a stall on one of his most beautiful parcels of land. This represented the beginnings of the Hotel Maria. Till 1936, the spacious building was used privately, only.
1936 – The First Guests
The first guests began arriving in 1936. They came to Obereggen / San Floriano, which was accessible exclusively via a cart path. For years, the Zerbi Family, from Saronno (Italy), rented the house for six to eight weeks of every summer. The coolness and scenic beauty of the Dolomites had enchanted the family. In 1947, the building was expanded for the first time to provide more accommodations.
Till 1954, the Only Regular Guest
Till 1954, the Zerbis were the only regular guests at the "Maria." It was only then that a second inn in the village opened for business.
A Street and a Ski Lift in 1972
With the construction of a modern street capable of bearing more traffic through the narrow Eggental / Val d'Ega and the installation of the first ski lift in 1972, the tourist industry began to slowly develop. That's also when the Pension Maria started business. In 1972, the inn was equipped with central heating, and in 1980, it underwent a second stage of expansion. Since 1986, all of the rooms here have been furnished with showers and WCs. Many guests who visited the "Maria" for the first time in the 1970s later became regular guests who keep coming back to this day. Until 1998, the parents of Beatrix Kofler – Maria and Hubert Pichler – ran the inn successfully. They were assisted by their daughter Brigitte and later also by Beatrix.
In 1999, Beatrix and Christoph Kofler Assume Operation of the "Maria"
Maria and Hubert Pichler transferred operation of the inn to their daughter Beatrix Kofler and her husband Christoph in 1999. The young couple soon begin to plan the new "Maria."
2001: Expansion and Renovation
Between April and December of 2001, the Hotel Maria finally attained its current form. It was inaugurated just in time for the start of winter. But even then, it was clear that the original structure would someday have to be replaced.
2008: The Next Milestone
The big day is finally here! The Hotel Maria celebrates its first century. Between April and June of 2008, the hotel undergoes the biggest structural changes since the major renovations of 2001. In the course of two and a half months, the Hotel Maria's entire range of services and features is totally revamped. The hotel now earns the distinction of bearing 4 Stars and 4 "Smileys" of the "Kinderhotels." Old rooms were replaced with new ones. And a totally new swimming pool, wellness / sauna facilities, and a new "Children's World" are installed – plus many more little details.
Beatrix & Christoph Kofler with Melanie and Nadine